CBR Blue Ribbon Awards Contests follow the Guidelines, Rules, and Definitions of the Romance Writers of America and the Mystery Writers associations.
Each work submitted will be judged on the following criteria:
- Is the story compelling?
- Professionalism of editing and formatting
- Continuity of storyline
- Satisfying ending (not necessarily “happy”)
- Intriguing opening
- Uniqueness of story
- Writing craft
- World construct
- Novels may be Manuscripts, Self-published, Indie Published or Traditionally Published.
- E-pub accepted.
- All published novels must have ISBN/ASIN designation, manuscripts are not required to have this designation at the time of submission.
- Entries must be in the English language.
- No gratuitous or highly graphic sex or violence please.
- Copyrighted works more than 3 years before the Contest Year will not be accepted.
- Novels must be 60,000 plus words.
- You may enter in more than one category. However, each entry must be accompanied by the entry fee.
- You may enter more than one novel into a given contest.
- Default winners will not be declared. Contests are based on merit and writing craft.
- Digital Files must be submitted in PDF or Word DOC format.
- Fees and Digital File must be received before midnight on the day of the deadline.
- Please read our Terms and Conditions page aka The Fine Print.
Published Novel means a work of fiction of at least 40,000 words (as determined by computer word count) that is offered for sale in a readable or audio format to the general public by a publisher for which the author receives payment as stipulated in a written contract from a publisher, and for which the author does not participate in the costs of production in any manner, including but not limited to publisher assessment of a fee or other costs for editing, preparation, and/or distribution.
Self Published/Independently Published Novels
A novel that the publisher withholds or seeks full or partial payment or reimbursement of publication or distribution costs before paying royalties, including payment of paper, printing, binding, production, sales or marketing costs. The work is exclusively promoted and/or sold by the author or have distribution that is primarily directed toward sales to the author, his/her relatives and/or associates. These works are considered to be self-published or independently published. Novel entries with less than 40,000 words may be disqualified.