The CBR Blue Ribbon Awards for Unpublished Novels Contest 2012 is now accepting entries for unpublished works of fiction. The purpose of this contest is to recognize outstanding novels from Self-published and Indie published authors and manuscripts of writers who have not published before as of time of entry into the CBRM contest. However, books may be self-published, but cannot be under a publishing contract. Works that have been accepted by agents are allowed to enter the CBR Unpublished Novels Contest.
The CBR Unpublished Novel Contest 2012 categories are:
- Mystery/Thriller (not Horror)
- Cozy (entry may be in any category of the cozy genre)
- Romance genre
Romantic elements are welcome, but not required.
Eligibility: Unpublished and Self-published novels. Novels cannot be under a publishing contract at time of entry. Novels may be under a Literary Agency Contract at time of entry. Entries are limited. First entered, first accepted.
Entry Deadline: September 30, 2012 FIRM. Midnight.
The Unpublished Division of the Novel Contest will be judged in Three Rounds:
- Round One will judge the first 50 to 68 pages (to the last page of the chapter that is no more than 68 pages and not less than 50 pages from the opening paragraph). Judges will use Round One Score Sheets. Entry must score 41 points out of 54 to move on to Round Two.
- Round Two will evaluate entries that have scored 41 points or more in Round One with Round Two Score Sheets.
- Round Two Entries must score at least 51 points out of 60 points to move forward to the Finalist Round.
- Combined Scores of 92 points from Rounds One and Two are required to move on the Finalist Round.
- The Finalist Round, Round Three, will be judged by a panel of published writers, agents, publishers, and editors.
- The Finalist Round Panel’s individual scores will be averaged to determine the winning entries.
Unpublished Novel Contest 2012 Datelines: ALERT: Dates have been changed due to amount of entries we received by two -to-three weeks by judges request. CBR received almost three times the number of entries than our previous contest. We apologize for any inconvenience. Questions, Concerns: please email kbrown@ChantiReviews.com. Thank you for your understanding!
- Round One Finalists (first several chapters) will be posted on the Chanticleer Book Reviews website on or around October. 20, 2012. NEW DATE: Nov. 10th
- Round Two winning entries will be posted on the Chanticleer Book Reviews website on or around Oct. 31, 2012.
- Round Three Finalists will be called or emailed on or around Nov. 30, 2012. (Date changed from Nov. 10)
- Division Grand Prize Winners and First Place Category Blue Ribbon Winners will be notified on or before December 10, 2012 by phone call or email.
- All winners of Rounds One, Two, and Three along with the Finalists will be posted and published on all of Chanticleer Book Reviews websites, social media sites, news feeds, and other media.
- Score Sheets will be returned to authors if a SASE is supplied with entered books.
Writing Competition Prizes
Grand Prize Winner for the entire CBR Blue Ribbon Awards Published Novel win a Chanticleer Book Review Package (valued at $ 245.00) and CBR Blue Ribbons for promotional purposes. This is based on overall final score, not by category. Grand prize winner may choose to win $200 cash prize instead of CBR Book Review package.
First Place Finalists in each category will win a Chanticleer Book Review Package (valued at $ 245.00) and CBR First Place Blue Ribbons.
All of Round Three Finalists will be awarded CBR Blue Ribbon Finalist awards to use in promotion of the book that placed in the Finalists Round.
How to Enter CBR Unpublished Novel Contest 2012
- Entering: You may enter your unpublished or self-published novel into several categories. However, the contest fee must be paid for each entry. And you may enter several published novels into the contest, but a fee must be paid for each entry per category.
- Each separate entry must be accompanied by an official entry form and separate payment.
- Fees: $ 35 RWA members in good standing; $ 40 non-members
- Fees are non-refundable.
- Fees are payable through PayPal on the CBR website. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use Pay Pal.
- After receiving entry fees and forms, we will contact you about where to email or mail the book(s) that you have entered into the CBR Unpublished Novels Contest 2012.
- Format of Entries: Printed Books will be accepted. Two copies must be supplied for the first round per category. If entry moves forward to next round another copy will required for scoring.
- Digital/Electronic Book entries will be accepted and are preferred.
The Fine Print:
CBR cannot be held responsible for any failure of the delivery of entries due to any electronic or Internet outage issues or with the temporary cessation of the U.S. Postal Delivery Service.
By entering this contest you agree that you have read, understand and agree that contest judging and book reviewing is subjective. All reviews and contest judging and scoring may not be the feedback that you may not agree with. However, by entering this contest you are agreeing to accept and abide by the decision making of the judges, contest officials and CBR editors in the scoring and judging of the books that you have entered. When you click “accept” on the entry form you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the officers, judges, reviewers, members, and owners of Chanticleer Book Reviews and Chanticleer Publishing and Media, L.L.C. a subsidiary of Delta Latitude, L.L.C. , from liability for its/their actions arising from, or relating to, the judging and handling of your entry, and conducting, sponsoring, and advertising the contest.
Entries must have never been under a publishing contract. Entries must unpublished or self-published at time of entry. Entries cannot be under a publishing contract at time of entry. Entries remain the sole property of the writer.