Chanticleer Book Reviews & Media has very little fine print aka “Terms and Conditions” for our Writing Contests.
- You must be over 18 years of age to enter Chanticleer Book Reviews writing competitions.
- COPYRIGHTS: Authors and Publishers retain sole rights to any works submitted to Chanticleer Reviews writing contests and competitions. Simple.
- We are not a publisher. We do not acquire the publish rights of winning titles. Although, publishers and literary agents are interested in knowing about our winning titles and authors.
- REVIEW PRIZES: Grand Prize and 1st Place Category winners will receive a review or a manuscript overview of the winning titles. CBR retains the right to publish our reviews of winning titles and any no-fee reviews. If the winning title has been previously reviewed by Chanticleer Reviews, a refund will not be given or exchanged for another title. Awarded book review packages are non-transferable and are valid only for the award winning work/title. It may take up to a year to receive the awarded review*. If you need a review to coordinate with a release date or other types of promotion, we suggest that the authors take advantage of the discount voucher for a scheduled expedited review package. We are a small company with a limited staff. We pay our reviewers for each and every review that they write whether they are awarded or not. Thank you for understanding and thank you for your patronage and support that makes Chanticleer Reviews possible.
- EXCERPTING POLICIES: Authors and Publishers may use said reviews to promote the title for which it is written as long as the review or excerpts of the review are attributed to “Chanticleer Book Reviews” or “CBReviews” in italics or quote marks.
- If quoted content is to be used in online posting, publishing, or promotion, link back to CBR with the attribution.
- If words are omitted from a review, ellipses must be inserted where the omission occurs.
- The intent of the review may not be altered.
- Words may not be added nor deleted from the review.
- Refunds are not given for Titles entered into wrong contests, categories, entries that do not supply the required number of copies or readable digital files, or that are ineligible or are otherwise disqualified from the contest.
- Entries must be English language editions or manuscripts.
- Refunds will not be given for entries that are disqualified for not meeting eligibility requirements, such as word count min/max, and restrictions on erotica/graphic violence.
- Entries that promote hatred of any given race, religion, sex, or ethnicity will be disqualified. No refund will be given.
- Prizes and Award Packages may change without notice.
- Default winners will not be declared. Contests are based on merit and writing craft.
- AWARDS YEAR: The Awards Year is the year that contest entries were submitted and accepted into their related genre deadlines for submissions. Final winners will be announced and awarded at the gala of the following year. Example: The 2015 award winners, who entered contests with 2015 deadlines, are recognized at the 2016 Chanticleer Awards Conference & Awards Gala in April 2016.
- Chanticleer reserves the right to bump up entries to a the previous awards year if finalists in that contest have not already been chosen. Don’t worry, this just means you could win sooner!
*Winners receive their awarded reviews within approximately a year of the Awards Gala. We schedule eight to ten First Place in Category winners to review per month – one from each genre’s list. These are selected randomly by the staff reviewers and then placed in the review queue. The first selected reviews will appear a few months after the Chanticleer Awards Gala. Social media posting of reviews will commence on the date that the CBR review is published to the Chanticleer website.
- Novels may be Manuscripts, Self-published, Indie Published or Traditionally Published.
- E-pubbed books accepted.
- All published novels must have ISBN/ASIN designation, manuscripts are not required to have this designation at the time of submission.
- Entries must be in the English language.
- No gratuitous or highly graphic sex or violence please.
- Copyrighted works before the date specified on the contest page will not be accepted.
- Please see contest pages for min/max word counts and do not submit works outside of the parameters specified.
- You may enter in more than one category. However, each entry must be accompanied by the entry fee.
- You may enter more than one novel into a given contest.
- An electronic version is required to enter our contests. Digital Files must be submitted in PDF or Word DOC format.
- Fees and Digital File must be received before midnight of the submission deadline.
The Fine Print:
CBR cannot be held responsible for any failure of the delivery of entries due to any electronic or Internet outage issues or with the temporary cessation of the U.S. Postal Delivery Service.
By entering this contest you agree that you have read, understand and agree that contest judging and book reviewing is subjective. All reviews and contest judging and scoring may not be the feedback that you may not agree with. However, by entering this contest you are agreeing to accept and abide by the decision making of the judges, contest officials and CBR editors in the scoring and judging of the books that you have entered. When you click “accept” on the entry form you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the officers, judges, reviewers, members, and owners of Chanticleer Book Reviews and Chanticleer Publishing and Media, L.L.C. a subsidiary of Delta Latitude, L.L.C. , from liability for its/their actions arising from, or relating to, the judging and handling of your entry, and conducting, sponsoring, and advertising the contest.
ALL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH ANY PRIZE ACCEPTANCE AND USE ARE YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY. IF TAXES ARE APPLICABLE TO THE PRIZE(S), IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES.
PAYMENTS TO YOU ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT YOU SUBMIT TO US ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY US TO PERMIT COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL AND FOREIGN (INCLUDING PROVINCIAL) TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS.
You are responsible for ensuring that the tax documentation submitted to us complies with all applicable tax laws and requirements.
If you fail to provide the documentation or submit incomplete documentation, the prize may be forfeited and we may, in our sole discretion, select an alternate.
You may not substitute, transfer or redeem your prize for cash.
We reserve the right to substitute a prize (or portion of a prize) with anything of comparable or greater value.
We award all prizes “as is” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
If the number of entries is not enough to for a contest to be held, as determined by Delta Latitude, L.L.C. then Delta Latitude L.L.C. has the right to cancel and terminate the contest. Refunds will be given within 60 days of canceling a contest to entrants who paid to enter the particular contest that was cancelled. Refunds will be paid by company check through U.S. postal service. No prizes will be awarded for any cancelled or terminated contest.
If DeltaLatitude L.L.C. determines that there are not enough entries moving forward to the Grand Prize Blue Ribbon Awards for a given year, that contest will be canceled and no prizes awarded. Entry fees will not be refunded since none are paid. Only 1st Place category winners are eligible for the Grand Prize Blue Ribbon Awards, so, therefore, do NOT pay entry fees.
That being said and written, it is in the best intention that Chanticleer Book Reviews, a dba of Delta Latitude, L.L.C. holds writing competitions. However, prizes are awarded and are contingent upon Chanticleer Book Reviews continuing as an on-going business concern.