Chanticleer Genre Writing Competitions 2016
How it All Works:
So you want to win the $1,000 cash prize for Chanticleer Book Reviews Grand Prize, Best Book?
First, select the genre. Then select the category within the genre. We offer fourteen different genres; each genre has at least five categories.
- The Chatelaine Awards for Romance and Romantic Fiction
- The Laramie Awards for Western, Pioneer & Civil War, North American Historical Fiction
- The Chaucer Awards for Early Period Historical Fiction: Pre-historic, Ancient, Dark Ages, Medieval, Renaissance, and World History
- The Goethe Awards for Late Period Historical Fiction: Regency, Victorian, 18th Century, 19th Century, 20th Century, turn of the century, and World History
- The Somerset Awards for Contemporary, Literary & General Fiction including adventure, magic realism, and women’s fiction
- The Clue Awards for Thriller and Suspense Novels: Crime, Police Procedural, Medical Procedural, Legal Procedural, detective, private eye, spy, espionage
- The Little Peeps Awards for children’s literature and storybooks
- The Middle Grade Fiction Awards
- The Dante Rossetti Awards for Young Adult Fiction including contemporary, historical, dystopian, edgy, urban, and multiple sub-genres
- The Mystery & Mayhem Awards (M&Ms) for Cozy Mystery Novels including amateur sleuth, adventure, caper, romantic suspense and more
- The Cygnus Awards for Science Fiction, Speculative Fiction, Time Travel Novels, Space Opera and more
- The Ozma Awards for Fantasy, Steampunk, Alternate World/History, Myth, Magic, Heroes, Villains, Fables, Fairy Tales, Legends
- The Paranormal Awards for Vampire, Werewolf, super powers, occult, and extra sensory perception
- The Journey Awards for Narrative Non-Fiction
- Novels may be Manuscripts, Self-published, Indie Published or Traditionally Published.
- E-pub accepted.
- All published novels must have ISBN/ASIN designation, manuscripts are not required to have this designation at the time of submission.
- Entries must be in the English language.
- No erotica. No graphic violence, please.
- Copyrighted works more than 2 years before the Contest Year will not be accepted.
- Novels must be 60,000 plus word UNLESS they are Middle Grade chapter books or Little Peeps Children’s books.
- You may enter in more than one category. However, each entry must be accompanied by the entry fee.
- You may enter more than one novel into a given contest.
- Default winners will not be declared. Contests are based on merit and writing craft.
- Digital Files must be submitted in PDF or Word DOC format.
- Fees and Digital File must be received before midnight on the day of the deadline.
- Please read our Terms and Conditions page aka The Fine Print.
Each work entered will be judged on the following criteria:
- Is the Story Compelling?
- Professionalism of Editing and Formatting
- Continuity of Story-line
- Satisfying Ending (not necessarily “happy”)
- Intriguing Opening
- Uniqueness of Story
- Writing Craft
- Story Arc
Each work submitted will make it’s way through our rounds of competitions. At the lower
Contest Entry Rounds:
Round 1 competition for First Place Category within a specific genre.
Consider Round 1 to be the slush pile for the readers. Your work will be read by the “slush pile” readers of CBR. Readers will evaluate the first chapter of your work. Each reader will vote yes or no on whether or not your work moves forward to Round 2.
Round 2 competitions for First Place Category within a specific genre.
If your work moves forward to Round 2, then the next sixty to eighty pages of it will be evaluated by the readers. If your work has been found to have merit at this stage by the reader, it will move forward to Round 3.
Round 3 competitions for First Place Category within a specific genre.
Works that have moved forward to Round 3 will be read by CBR book reviewers and editors. By the end of Round 3, the Finalists of the genre division will be selected and notified via social media.
FINALISTS announced and promoted via CBR’s social media. An official list will be posted on the website and in CBR’s e-newsletter.
Category Finalists’ works will continue to be read and evaluated to determine which titles will move forward to Round 5.
Any work that has moved forward to Round 5 will have been read completely by judges and editors. They will decide who the first place category winners at the end of Round 5.
First in Category Awards Winners
First in Category award winners will be notified and awarded ribbons, a coveted Chanticleer Reviews editorial review, and promotional opportunities. The reviewers, judges, and editors of Chanticleer Book Reviews will select the first place category winners.
Round 7: Overall Genre Competition for 1st Place Genre Awards.
Only First Place Category winners may compete for the Overall Genre Competition. There will be only one First Place Genre award for each of the fourteen genres. The 1st place award winner for each genre competition will be awarded $200 dollars plus prizes and promotional opportunities. There will be only one 1st Place award winner for each genre whether or not it is a manuscript or a published book. If a manuscript wins, it will be eligible to be forwarded to literary agents who have contacted Chanticleer Book Reviews for first peeks at outstanding manuscripts (upon author approval).
The panel of judges for 1st Place Genre awards will consist of published authors from that genre, literary agents, publishing professionals, and librarians. Winners will be notified by email.
Chanticleer Book Reviews Overall Best Book
The Overall Best Book winner will receive a $ 1,000 plus prizes and promotion. The winner will be announced at the April awards gala held at the Chanticleer Authors Conference. There will be only one Overall Best Book Winner. Only Grand Prize Genre award winners compete for Best Book.
Chanticleer Book Reviews retains the right to not declare “default winners.” Winning works are decided upon merit only and not empty slots.
We may limit the number of entries so that judging is fair and consistent.
Please visit this website often for updates! Please do not hesitate to contact info@ChantiReviews.com about any concerns, questions, or suggestions about CBR writing competitions. Your input is important to us.