The Somerset Awards writing competition recognizes emerging new talent and outstanding works in the genre of Literary and Contemporary Fiction. The Somerset Awards is a division of the Chanticleer Awards International Writing Competitions.
We are pleased to announce the SOMERSET Awards Official Finalists List for 2014, otherwise known as the “Short List.” The Official Finalists Listing is comprised of entries that have passed the first three rounds of judging from the entire field of entrants. To pass the first three rounds of judging, more than sixty pages of the works below have been read and have deemed worthy by the CBR judges of continuing in competition for the SOMERSET Awards FIRST IN CATEGORY positions and their prize packages.
Congratulations to the SOMERSET AWARDS 2014 FINALISTS:
- Steve Lundin for The Manipulator: A Private Life in Public Relations
- Emily Ruth Verona for Steady is the Fall
- Ken Swarner for Family of the Year
- Nancy Adair for Soon Coming
- Nathan Smith Hips for The Misfit’s Companion
- Patrick M. Garry for Finding Flipper Frank
- Jim Musgrave for Freak Story: 1967 – 1969
- Thomas H. McNeely for Ghost Horse
- Michael A. Smith for Lightening’s Child
- Kate McKenna for True Stories of Local Heroes
- Ian Bull for The Picture Kills
- Jim Henniger for Recording a Kill
- Laurie Fitzpatrick for Niello
- Michael Olin-Hitt for The Homegoing
- Rian Everest for The Tangerine Trio
- Michael Hurley for The Vineyard
- Jodie Bain for Inside the Walls of Matacalli City Zoo
- Janet K. Shawgo for Find Me Again
- Thomas Whaley for Leaving Montana
- Faith McCune for Duffy’s World
- Angela Brackeen for Lark, in Her Element
- Rebecca L. Matthews for The Light Within
- Judy Kelly for That Ever Dies So Young
- Tanya Fyfe for Lost and Found in Missing Lake
- Drew O’Brien for The Sin of Mother Mary
- Jessica H. Stone for The Last Outrageous Woman on Earth
- Tom Glenn for No-Accounts
- Maren Higbee for Lana Fray and the Grand Plan
- Jacab Larison for The Ones We Leave Behind
- E.F. Winters for MEMELOOSE: The Island of the Dead
- Enid Harlow for Good to Her
- Kenneth Stokes for His Father’s Eyes, His Father’s Words, & His Father’s Ways
- Ginger Cucolo for The Knoll
- Judith Kirscht for Home Fires
- Roni Teson for Twist
- Nicki Royall Peet for The Shaman’s Daughter
- Diane Finfrock Farrar for The Door of the Heart
- Jim Gillian for The SADM Project
Good luck to all the Somerset Awards Finalists who made the Short List as they compete for the First In Category Positions!
More than $30,000 dollars in cash and prizes will be awarded to Chanticleer International Blue Ribbon Awards Winners annually.
The SOMERSET First Place Category award winners will compete for the SOMERSET Grand Prize Award for Best Literary and Contemporary Novel 2014. Grand Prize winners, blue ribbons, and prizes will be announced and awarded on September 29th at the Chanticleer Authors Conference and Awards Gala, Bellingham, Wash.
The First In Category award winners will receive an award package including a complimentary book review, digital award badges, shelf talkers, book stickers, and more.
We are now accepting entries into the 2015 SOMERSET Awards. The deadline is November 30, 2015. Click here for more information or to enter.
More than $30,000 worth of cash and prizes will be awarded to the 2015 Chanticleer Novel Writing Competition winners! Ten genres to enter your novels and compete on an international level.
Who will take home the $1,000 purse this September at the Chanticleer Awards Gala and Banquet?
Last year’s SOMERSET GRAND PRIZE Award winner was Jeremy Bullian for Individually Wrapped.